The Applied Business Technology program prepares students to work in offices in business, government, and industry. The demand for administrative assistants in government, municipal offices, accounting firms, oil and gas, legal, and health care is growing, and employers actively seek our graduates. Students are trained in current software packages and administrative procedures in order to be prepared for employment upon graduation.
The vocational program teaches current office skills in word processing, keyboarding, spreadsheets, automated accounting and bookkeeping. Business communications and office procedures courses enable students to develop the soft skills necessary for success in today’s offices. Students utilize Microsoft 2013 software in the program.
Students enrol in and complete the full 39-week program as an Administrative Assistant. However, students may opt to exit after 23 weeks as an Office Assistant, or after 29 weeks as a Financial Assistant. Each stream includes a one- or two-week practicum placement as part of the program to give students the opportunity to apply their new skills in an office environment.
Graduates are prepared for work in a variety of business settings in the public and private sectors such as: Administrative Assistant, Financial Office Assistant, Payroll Assistant, Computerized Bookkeeping Assistant, Accounts Payable/Receivable Clerk, Receptionist/Switchboard, Office Assistant, Data Entry Clerk, and Records Management Clerk.
Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Fort St. John
Length: Administrative Assistant (39 weeks)
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent, from the previous five years, indicating successful completion of:
- Grade 11 English, or Grade 11 Communications, or Career and College Preparation ENGL040 (Advanced/Grade 11); and
- Grade 10 Math, or Career and College Preparation MATH030 (Intermediate/Grade 10).
- Complete the following sections Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
- Reading Comprehension: 11.9 grade equivalent or higher
- Number Operations: 10.9 grade equivalent or higher
- Permission of the Dean of the program.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Basic computer and Internet knowledge is advisable including: how to turn on/off a computer; how to open a program; how to save a file; and a preferred 15wpm keyboard speed or a minimum knowledge of the keys (and their location) on a keyboard.
- The information provided here is a summary of the official Program Completion Guides approved by NLC’s Education Council.
Download the program completion guide(s):
for the Applied Business Technology program
Do you need more information?
Dawson Creek Admissions Officer: Megan Bedell
Fort Nelson and Fort St. John Admissions Officer: Darryn Wellstead
Dean: Steve Roe
Required in all three streams
Also required in the Administrative Assistant stream:
Also required in the Financial Assistant stream:
Also required in Office Assistant stream: