The Associate of Arts Degree – AHCOTE (AAA) is awarded to students who complete two years of planned coursework at Northern Lights College. The AAA prepares students for entry into the Alaska Highway Consortium on Teacher Education (AHCOTE), the teacher-training program offered at NLC. Credits may also be applied toward a degree.
The AAA is offered as part of the University Arts and Sciences program, which provides university-level learning opportunities that reflect the intellectual and creative modes of inquiry practiced in the Arts and Sciences.
Students who complete the Associate of Arts Degree designed for prospective teachers are eligible for AHCOTE and will eventually be seeking careers as teachers. Note, however, that completion of the designated Associate of Arts Degree is not a guarantee of admission into AHCOTE.
Locations: Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson and Fort St. John campuses, where resources and interest permit
Length: The AA--AHCOTE involves 900 hours of class time and may be completed on a part-time or full-time basis. Where learners are attending full time, the credential may be completed in 60 weeks or two academic years.
Start: September, January, or May
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
*English is the language of instruction in all programs at NLC, thus it is imperative that NLC students meet minimum English Language Proficiency requirements.
*In University Arts and Sciences, it is understood that the minimum English Language Proficiency requirement is that required to graduate from a Canadian high school program conducted in English. This is defined in the English Language Requirement document.
* A. Domestic students must have official transcripts demonstrating the following Math Requirement: Successful completion of one of the following: Pre-calculus 11, Principles of Mathematics 11, Foundations of Math 11, Math 040, or equivalent. Alternatively, readiness for MATH 050 as determined by the CCP Math appraisal.
* B. International students must have documentation demonstrating the following Math Requirement: Successful completion of one of the following: Pre-calculus 11, Principles of Mathematics 11, Foundations of Math 11, Math 040, or equivalent. Alternatively, readiness for MATH 050 as determined by the CCP Math appraisal.
* *Note: For transfer into degree programs in this field, degree granting institutions might require higher pre-requisites than required for entrance into NLC’s AAA program. All students planning to transfer into a bachelor's degree should ensure that they have met the entrance requirements of the receiving institution. In addition, some elective courses in NLC’s AAA require additional course pre-requisites.
After program admission, but upon registration in EDUC 252, students must complete a Criminal Record Check.
Using the specified Consent Form, request a Ministry of Justice Schedule B Criminal Record Check (CRC). Because requests for Schedule B CRCs may take up to six weeks, students are strongly encouraged to attend to this post-admission requirement as soon as possible. Please note that convictions for certain offenses may disqualify students from participating in course practica. Further, students are obligated to report any Schedule B criminal convictions that occur after they authorize a CRC, but are still registered in EDUC 252. Failure to do so may result in immediate dismissal from the course.
Please see the NLC Criminal Records Check page for completion instructions and more information pertaining to Criminal Record Checks.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Completion of the AAA program is not a guarantee of admission into the AHCOTE program.
- NLC courses may transfer individually to other colleges, universities, and institutes in British Columbia, as indicated in the BC Transfer Guide.
- The AHCOTE program is affiliated with School Districts 59, 60, 81, Simon Fraser University, and University of Northern British Columbia.
- The information on this page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Guide
|AHCOTE student awarded
Simon Fraser University
Dean’s Medal for Education
Do you need more information?
Program Contact: Greg Lainsbury
Phone: 250 785-6981, ext 2025
Toll Free: 1-866-463-6652
Year 1 (Pre-Education Certificate)
Plus one lab science (students planning to enroll in AHCOTE should note that in some cases two NLC lab science courses are required to meet the SFU lab science requirement, eg., GEOG 112 and GEOG 114 or PHYS 103 and PHYS 104) (75-105 hrs per lab science)
Plus two or three open electives in Arts and Science, depending on the course(s) selected as a lab science (45 hrs per elective)
Year 2 (Completion of the Associate of Arts Degree)
Plus four 200-level Arts Electives (45 hrs)*
Plus one open Elective in Arts or Sciences (45 hrs)
Note that PSYC 211 is recommended as a 200-level Arts elective. However, PSYC 211 requires PSYC 101 and 102 as prerequisites.