Students in the Wind Turbine Maintenance Technician program explore the theory supporting wind turbines and the practical maintenance procedures required to maintain turbine output with safe work practices emphasized throughout the program. Upon completion of the program, students are prepared to enter the field as wind turbine technicians and can progress to higher levels of certification within the industry.
The program starts with the Electrician foundation training courses and proceeds to the Wind Turbine specific job site safety training before continuing with Electrician level 1 training. Students then go on a 6 week practicum through the summer months and return in fall for Millwright Foundation training and a final two-week practicum with the same host as the past summer.
Wind Turbine Maintenance Technicians can find employment in wind turbine maintenance, wind farm construction, turbine manufacturing, or blade inspection and repair. They can also specialize in inspecting or repairing wind turbine electrical, mechanical and hydraulic systems.
Location: Students will complete the electrical components of this program at the Fort St. John Campus, and the millwright components of this program at the Dawson Creek campus.
Length: Approx. 51 weeks, 1576 hours (includes 8 weeks practicum)
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Math – one of the following:
BC Pre-Calculus Math 11 or BC Pre-Calculus Math 12 with a minimum final grade of C+, or equivalent.
BC MATH 040 or higher, with a minimum final grade of C+, or equivalent.
English – one of the following:
BC Language Arts 11 Courses – 4 credits earned, minimum individual grade of C+, or equivalent.
BC Language Arts 12 Courses – 4 credits earned, minimum individual grade of C+, or equivalent.
ENGL 040 or higher, with a minimum final grade of C+, or equivalent.
IELTS score of 5.5 overall with no band less than 5.0 or equivalent English placement test and score.
Science – one of the following:
BC Grade 11 Physics or BC Grade 12 Physics with a minimum final grade of C+, or equivalent.
Physics 040 or higher with a minimum final grade of C+, or equivalent.
ESTR 047 (Advanced-Level Essential Skills for Trades) with a minimum final grade of 67%.
Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
• Reading Comprehension: 12.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Number Operations: 12.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Problem Solving: 12.0 grade equivalent or higher
• An above average score (51/70; 6th Stanine) required for Mechanical Reasoning
• A score of 70% or higher in the Electrical Math Assessment
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- Safety equipment (CSA approved steel toe boots and glasses) must be provided by the student.
- Instruction Related Fees for Electrician, Millwright and Wind Turbine cover supplies used in the program.
- The program is affiliated with the following: Lethbridge College, Vestas America, Great Plains College, and the Industry Training Authority.
- Students are required to have a computer (laptop or other mobile device) with minimum computer requirements as listed on the NLC website (www.nlc.bc.ca/Services/Information-Technology/minPC).
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide (effective Sept 2022) approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide (effective Sept 2022). (Download a PDF of the current Program Completion Guide)
APPLY NOW for the Wind Turbine Maintenance Technician program
Do you need more information?
Program Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
ELFT 101 Electrician Foundation Trades Training
ELFT 102 Electrician Foundation Level 1
MILL 101 Millwright Foundation
MILL 161 Millwright Practicum
WTMT 150 Jobsite Safety
WTMT 151 Practicum