The Education Assistant program provides theory, develops competency in required skills, and promotes professional development towards the training and preparation of an Education Assistant to enhance the child’s involvement in the educational environment.
Education Assistants may be employed to provide support to children with varying levels of special needs or they may provide general support to classroom teachers in the delivery of educational programs to a number of children or the entire class.
Northern Lights College offers a one-year Certificate or two-year Diploma program. This program may be completed on a part- or full-time basis. Students may complete the program within their own community through online delivery. Face-to-face offerings are available within the NLC region (contingent on student enrollment or special project offering).
Qualified Education Assistants are employed in public, private and independent schools around the province as a Special Needs Support Worker, Personal Care Attendant, and Playground and/or School Supervision Monitor.
Location: Online/Distributed Delivery
Length: 12 months
Start: September, January (full time or part time), or April (part time only)
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of secondary school that includes:
- Grade 12 English or First Peoples 12, with a C or higher.
Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
- Reading Comprehension: 12.9 grade equivalent or higher
- Vocabulary: 12.9 grade equivalent or higher
- Spelling: 12.9 grade equivalent or higher
- Grammar: 12.9 grade equivalent or higher
To gain a final offer of acceptance into the program, applicants must:
- Provide a comprehensive letter stating background, interest, and goals in taking the Education Assistant program.
- Provide two current letters of reference, one personal and one from a recent employer (must be written and dated within the last year), attesting to personal suitability for working with young children.
- Provide a current certificate of good health from a physician (form included in application package on website).
In order to gain conditional acceptance, secondary school Dual Credit students will also need to submit:
- A copy of a Dual Credit application completed and signed at a local secondary school.
- Transcripts indicating successful completion of Grade 11.
Please consult the High School’s Dual Credit Coordinator or Counsellor to determine any additional prerequisites for individual courses.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online.
- Each student is required to authorize a Solicitor General's Criminal Record Check before participating in a practicum involving children or vulnerable adults.
Under no circumstances will students be permitted to complete any practical work in a child care or school setting until NLC has received a clear Schedule B criminal record check.
Students are obligated to report any Schedule B criminal convictions that occur after they authorize a Criminal Record Check but are still enrolled in the program. Failure to do so may result in immediate dismissal from the program.
- Students complete practica within their own communities provided the options exist for acceptable placements. Students unable to locate suitable practicum placements in their own communities may need to relocate to another community for one or more of the practica.
- Please note the following application deadlines: June 1 for Fall (September) start; October 1 for Winter (January) start; and February 1 for Spring (April) start.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
- Northern Lights College has partnered with Collège Éducacentre for delivery of the Education Assistant Certificate in French. For information on delivery of the program in French, please contact Melanie Hotte, Student Advisor
604-708-5100 poste 1401
APPLY NOW to Northern Lights College for the Education Assistant Certificate program
View the Education Assistant Admissions Page
Do you need more information?
Program Chair: Cindy Page