This is a 30-week certificate level program covering esthetics and nail care technology. The esthetic portion includes theory and hands-on training in facials, body massage, body treatments, aromatherapy, makeup artistry, waxing and tinting. In the nail technology portion, students will learn the theory and application of manicures, pedicures and artificial nail enhancement.
The basic principles of anatomy, physiology, microbiology, chemistry, electrotherapy, and sanitation procedures to support the applied learning required of the certificate are integrated throughout the program.
Students will be introduced to the knowledge and skills necessary to run a salon or spa.
This Program has a reading week typically the last week of February.
The esthetics industry offers career opportunities in areas such as, spa therapy, nail technician, demonstrator, sales representatives, salon proprietor, makeup artist, esthetician on a cruise ship, medical spa assistant, spa management, etc. Students who complete this program will be eligible to take the Beauty Council licensing examination, which represents the highest standard in the industry.
Location: Northern Lights College, Dawson Creek - South Peace Campus
Length: Approx. 30 weeks, 910 hours
Start: Refer to the Trades Intake Schedule
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
• Grade 10 English, OR Career and College Preparation ENGL 030 (Advanced/Grade 10) with C+ or higher;
• Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math), OR Career and College Preparation MATH 030 (Intermediate Developmental Math), MATH 031(Intermediate Trades Math) or MATH 035 (Intermediate Algebraic Math) with C+ or higher.
• Grade 10 Science, or Science 030, with C+ or higher
ESTR 037 (Intermediate-Level Essential Skills for Trades) with 67% or higher
Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
• Reading Comprehension: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Number Operations: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Problem Solving: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Science: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
Successful completion of the NLC POWER Program.
• Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English, Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math), Grade 10 Science all with C+ or higher.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- Esthetics Kit will be included in instructional related fees.
- The program is a affiliated with School Districs 59, 60 and 81.
- Graduates must write the Beauty Council Western Canada licensing examinations (theory and practical) in order to pursue work in western Canada.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Esthetician program
Do you need more information? Program Contact: email@example.com