This is an approximately 30-week certificate program covering esthetics and nail care technology. The esthetic portion includes theory and hands-on training in facials, body massage, body treatments, aromatherapy, makeup artistry, waxing and tinting. The nail technology portion covers the theory and application of manicures, pedicures and artificial nail enhancement.
The basic principles of anatomy, physiology, microbiology, chemistry, electrotherapy, and sanitation procedures to support the applied learning required of the certificate are integrated throughout the program.
Students will be introduced to the knowledge and skills necessary to run a salon or spa, and will produce a professional quality portfolio to showcase their skills.
This Program has a reading week typically the last week of February.
The Esthetics industry offers career opportunities in areas such as spa therapy, nail technician, demonstrator, sales representatives, salon proprietor, makeup artist, esthetician on a cruise ship, medical spa assistant, spa management, etc. Students who complete this program will be eligible to take the Beauty Council licensing examination, which represents the highest standard in the industry.
Location: Dawson Creek - South Peace Campus
Length: Approx. 32 weeks, 934 hours
Start: Refer to the Trades Intake Schedule
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Math – one of the following:
BC Math 10 (minimum final grade of C+), or BC Math 11 or BC Math 12 (minimum final grade of C), or equivalent.
MATH 030 or higher, with a minimum final grade of C+, or equivalent.
English – one of the following:
BC Language Arts 10 Courses – 4 credits earned, minimum individual grade of C+, or equivalent.
BC Language Arts 11 Courses – 4 credits earned, minimum individual grade of C+, or equivalent.
BC Language Arts 12 Courses – 4 credits earned, minimum individual grade of C+, or equivalent.
ENGL 030 or higher, with a minimum final grade of C+, or equivalent.
Science – one of the following:
BC Science 10 (minimum final grade of C+), or equivalent.
SCIE 030 or higher, with a minimum final grade of C+, or equivalent.
IELTS score of 5.5 overall with no band less than 5.0 or equivalent English placement test and score.
ESTR 037 (Intermediate-Level Essential Skills for Trades) with a minimum final grade of 67%.
Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
• Reading Comprehension: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Number Operations: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Problem Solving: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Science: 11.00 grade equivalent or higher
Based on the results of the assessment(s), applicants may be required to participate in an assessment interview to determine admissibility. Interviews may be conducted virtually if necessary.
Successful completion of the NLC POWER program.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- Esthetics Kit, which includes all the tools necessary for the program, will be included in instructional related fees.
- As NLC’s South Peace campus is connected to the Dawson Creek High School - South Peace campus, the Criminal Records Review Act requires that all students over the age of 19 before classes begin must complete a Schedule Type B Criminal Record Check (CRC). Costs related to the CRC will be paid by the College; please contact the NLC Admissions Officer for more information.
- The program is a affiliated with School Districs 59, 60 and 81.
- Graduates must write the Beauty Council Western Canada licensing examinations (theory and practical) in order to pursue work in western Canada.
- Students are required to have a computer (laptop or other mobile device) with minimum computer requirements as listed on the NLC website (www.nlc.bc.ca/Services/Information-Technology/minPC).
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide (effective Sept 2022) approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide (effective Sept 2022). (Download a PDF of the current Program Completion Guide)
APPLY NOW for the Esthetician program
Do you need more information? Program Contact: email@example.com