The field of business provides many exciting careers and opportunities in such areas as finance, accounting, entrepreneurship, information technology, general management, marketing, and logistics. Northern Lights College's Business Management Program prepares students for positions of responsibility in the business community and for further educational opportunities by promoting conceptual and technical skill development in business.
The Business Management Program at Northern Lights College offers a wide variety of first and second-year courses for students interested in working towards a Business Diploma, or transferring to university or professional designation programs elsewhere.
The Business Management diploma is a two year program with two streams, allowing students to earn a general business management credential or to specialize in accounting.
Careers and opportunities in such areas as finance, accounting, entrepreneurship, information technology, general management, marketing, and logistics.
Location: Fort St. John Campus, Dawson Creek Campus
Length: 4 semesters (60 weeks full-time).
General Option: minimum of 915 hours in total; minimum of 60 credits.
Accounting Option: minimum of 915 hours in total; minimum of 60 credits.
Start: September, January, or May
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
1. English Requirement: English is the language of instruction in all programs at NLC. Thus, it is imperative that NLC students meet minimum English Language Proficiency requirements. In University Arts and Sciences and Related Programs, it is understood that the minimum English Language Proficiency requirement is that required to graduate from a Canadian high school program conducted in English. This is defined in the English Language Requirement document.
2. Math Requirement: One of the following with a 'C' grade (60%) or higher: Pre-calculus 11, Principles of Mathematics 11, Foundations of Math 11, Math 040, or equivalent; alternatively, readiness for MATH 050 as determined by the CCP Math appraisal.
Note: Elective courses may have specific prerequisites. Meeting entrance requirements for the program does not ensure course prerequisites have been met for all available courses.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans for Domestic Students. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- Subject to appropriate prerequisite qualifications and available space, block transfer agreements may allow diploma graduates to transfer directly into the third year of degree programs at the University of Northern British Columbia, North Island College, Okanagan College, and Royal Roads University.
- Northern Lights College courses also transfer individually to other colleges, universities, and institutes in British Columbia. Students will receive transfer credit for courses as noted in the BC Transfer Guide.
- Northern Lights College courses are also recognized by professional associations such as the Chartered Professional Accountants of British Columbia, Aboriginal Financial Officers Association of BC, the Canadian Bankers Institute, and others.
- Additional Requirements/Supplies: Calculator: a financial calculator is recommended. Laptop: see minimum standard NLC program requirements.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the current Program Guide
APPLY NOW for the Business Management Diploma program
Do you need more information? Admissions
Program Contact: Chair, University Arts and Sciences
(Cindy Broberg firstname.lastname@example.org, Dawson Creek campus; Issoufou Soumaila email@example.com, Fort St. John campus)
Program Instructor: Faisal Rashid
Core Required Courses:
Additional Required Courses for the Accounting Option:
Elective Options for the Accounting Option (3-5 courses or 9-15 credits) and for the General Option (6-8 courses or 18-24 credits) except as otherwise noted:
Additional notes on course selection:
• ECON 101 and 102 are recommended for students planning to transfer into degree programs
Business electives best selected for the accounting option are:
MGMT 217, 261, 203, and 302 may also provide exemption from Chartered Professional Accountants PEP modules. Visit the CPA website Transfer Credit Guide
Suggested electives for a mathematical orientation or to prepare for a business degree (B. Comm, BBA):
Electives best suited to a marketing orientation:
Electives best selected for an information technology orientation are: