The Business Management program promotes conceptual and technical skill development in business through a one-year Certificate program, a two-year Diploma program, and a Post-Degree Diploma program.
Students can complete first- and second-year courses to earn an NLC credential, or to transfer to university or professional designation programs elsewhere. All Business Management programs may be completed on a full time or part time basis.
The Business Management Diploma has two streams, allowing students to earn a General Diploma or an Accounting Diploma. Courses are transferable to university and professional designation programs elsewhere.
Graduates are prepared for positions of responsibility in areas such as finance, accounting, entrepreneurship, information technology, general management, marketing, and logistics, as well as for further educational opportunities.
Location: Fort St. John Campus, Dawson Creek Campus
Length: 2 semesters (30 weeks) after completion of the NLC Business Management Certificate:
General Option - minimum of 465 hours in total; minimum of 60 credits
Accounting Option - minimum of 465 hours in total; minimum of 60 credits
Start: September, January, or May
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
*English is the language of instruction in all programs at NLC, thus it is imperative that NLC students meet minimum English Language Proficiency requirements.
*In University Arts and Sciences, it is understood that the minimum English Language Proficiency requirement is that required to graduate from a Canadian high school program conducted in English. This is defined in the English Language Requirement document.
A. Domestic students must have official transcripts demonstrating the following Math Requirement: One of the following with a 'C' grade (60%) or higher: Pre-calculus 11, Principles of Mathematics 11, Foundations of Math 11, Math 040, or equivalent. Alternatively, readiness for MATH 050 as determined by the CCP Math appraisal.
B. International students must have documentation demonstrating the following Math Requirement: One of the following with a 'C' grade (60%) or higher: Pre-calculus 11, Principles of Mathematics 11, Foundations of Math 11, Math 040, or equivalent. Alternatively, readiness for MATH 050 as determined by the CCP Math appraisal.
*Note: For transfer into degree programs in this field, degree granting institutions might require higher math pre-requisites than required for entrance into NLC’s Business Management Certificate and Diploma programs. All students planning to do a bachelor's degree should ensure that they have met the entrance requirements of the receiving institution. In addition, some elective courses in NLC’s Business Management Certificate and Diploma programs require Principles of Mathematics 12, Pre-calculus 12, Math 050(Provincial), or equivalency.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- Subject to appropriate prerequisite qualifications and available space, transfer agreements allow Diploma graduates to transfer directly into the third year of degree programs at the University of Northern British Columbia, Okanagan College, North Island College and Royal Roads University.
- Northern Lights College Business Management courses transfer to other colleges, universities, and institutes in British Columbia, as indicated in the BC Transfer Guide.
- Northern Lights College courses are also recognized by professional associations such as the Chartered Professional Accountants of British Columbia, Aboriginal Financial Officers Association of BC, the Canadian Bankers Institute, and others. Students are responsible for confirming transferability of course credits to any external organization.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Guide
APPLY NOW for the Business Management Diploma program
Do you need more information?
Program Contact: Lisa Verbisky
Program Instructor: Faisal Rashid
Core courses taken by all diploma students:
Required courses for the Accounting Option:
Elective courses for the General Option (five of the following or minimum of fifteen credits):
ADDITIONAL NOTES ON COURSE SELECTION:
- *MATH (Calculus) Courses:
- Diploma students are permitted a maximum of three calculus credits (In either MATH 101 or MATH 105)
- Note that Principles of Math 12 is required for students enrolling in elective MATH 101 and MATH 105
Business electives best selected for the accounting option are:
Suggested courses for a mathematical orientation or to prepare for a business degree (B.Comm, BBA):
Business electives best selected for a marketing orientation are:
Business electives best selected for an information technology orientation are: